The Commission set its strategic plan for the years 2016–2020 taking into consideration the growth plans of the kingdom, the current situation of the communications and information technology sector, and existing frameworks and regulations with regard to the best international practices. This strategic plan was updated during the last quarter of 2017 to match the updated directions of the sector. Within the updated strategy, the commission has focused on the systems required to create a highly competitive environment, to provide superior services to subscribers, and to establish an attractive ecosystem for investors through the following aspects:
- Technology and infrastructure
Regulating the sector and enhancing competition
- Ensuring provision of scarce resources (spectrum and numbers) and their effective management.
- Developing the regulations related to technology and telecommunication standardization.
- Facilitating spreading of communication networks and information technology.
- Making regulations to ensure the continuity of services in cases of emergency and disasters.
- Regulating the frequency spectrum to ensure effective use.
- Enabling the use of new technologies in the kingdom.
- Developing the regulations and indicators related to infrastructures.
- Participating in improvement of service performance of service providers.
- Developing the regulations and indicators related to service quality and following up on networks' performance.
- Updating regulations, organizational frameworks, and related instruments and their adjustment to best practices.
- Enhancing the sector's investment environment through improvement of licensing procedures and related organizational frameworks.
- Protecting the communication sector's legal system, legal support within the commission, and prosecution and litigation before foreign entities.
- Raising the licensees' level of commitment to the commission's regulations and protecting the rights of users, the government, and service providers.
- Increasing transparency through the participation of those interested in drafting the regulations.
- Adjusting and enhancing competition by developing the procedures and mechanisms of determining the costs of providing services and adjusting tariff and inspection.
- Publishing the sector's data through the indicators and the studies of the telecommunication and information technology markets.
- Updating and operating the inspection and monitoring system.
Developing and protecting the kingdom's interests and enhancing its regional and international position in fields related to the sector
- Managing and developing the complaint system and improving its efficiency.
- Establishing effective partnerships in the communications and information technology sector.
- Enhancing and updating the level of digital security in the communications and information technology sector and providing a more secure internet environment.
- Raising the users' level of awareness of their rights and commitments.
- Raising the level of standards of provision of communication and information technology services related to users’ rights and adhering to them.
- Measuring the quality of experience of using the internet inside the kingdom and taking part in its improvement.
- Enhancing the position of the kingdom in related to international and regional organizations and influencing the negotiations held there in favor of the kingdom's interests.
- Taking advantage of the experiences of telecommunication providers in different countries with the aim of acquiring relevant best practices.
- Promoting the kingdom's efforts and achievements related to the communications and information technology sector.
- Enhancing the kingdom's leading representation in international activities.